We are excited to announce the release of Layover, a photography app that lets you blend the images, colors and textures of up to five pictures to create a single image. Layover is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, and costs $.99 in the iTunes Store.
The inspiration for Layover came when we were at the 1197 Mobile Photography Conference in San Francisco. While we were at the conference, we saw people combining apps to do different image manipulations and artistic effects. This inspired us to take the concept of app stacking, a favorite among iPhoneographers, and apply it to a single app. Instead of stacking apps to add layers of effects, we wanted to stack and add layers of photos in a single app.
We took the idea home to Seattle, and after several months of concepting, designing and developing, Layover is finally making its debut in the iTunes Store. Here are some key features that make Layover a premier photo-blending app:
- Blend up to five images. Once images are imported, you can quickly change the order of the photos via drag and drop. You can also delete layers by performing a tap-and-hold to bring up the red “-” buttons.
- The Mask feature lets you erase specific parts of pictures to isolate elements, remove the background, or let different layers show through. Use the Mask slider to control how dramatic or subtle you want the erase marks to appear, and then swipe your finger across the areas you would like to erase.
- Simple to use blending effects. There are 15 different blending options for combining your layers into a single image. Use the blend slider to control how subtle or intense you want the blending effect to appear.
- Import Options. Import photos from your camera roll, Photo Stream, or take a photo on the fly.
- Export Options. Send to social networks, such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr or other aps. You can also save the image to your camera roll or send via email.
- The Crop button lets you easily adjust the canvas size. The frame is square by default, but 3:2 and 4:3 ratios are available.
- Zoom and Move Images: Easily zoom into a specific area of a photo, as well as move the image within the frame to position it exactly where you want it.
We’re really excited to add Layover to our suite of apps. We believe that Layover, in addition to Diptic, helps users make really artistic, creative images that they can share with their friends and family.